Monday 22 February 2016

Gender in Animation - Examples!

Before going any further with my visual response to my essay I wanted to look at actual examples of where gender is represented in animation and to see if there are any trends. As my essay mainly explored Disney I thought it would be best to make my visual response taking the characters of Disney and recreating them so I will be looking at Disney characters.




Here are some of the most recognisable characters to people and very influential to children female Disney characters and they all actually have similar features.






A lot of the characters feature very thin waists and I have found an image where someone has taken Belle's waist from Beauty and the Beast and made her a 'normal' size. I feel like this is something that is important as the characters have unattainable body types and this may be to make them more appealing as they are moulded around different shapes, but at the same time having the characters look like regular people wouldn't necessarily make them unappealing.\

Another thing I have noticed is that they have huge eyes and below I have found images that show what the princesses would look like if they had normal sized eyes. This is something I can take again in my visual response as I want to create my own disney characters and use the stereotypes to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment